Monday, March 1, 2010

Placements....

                 It was 12th December, 2009. Placements had resumed. Infosys technologies were in our campus for recruitment. BE 1st semester exam was over on 9th December. We were extremely tired after studying for close to a month. But at the same time we were all the more excited about campus recruitments.
                Almost 250 students had assembled in the A1 placement hall in MIT. Students from MIT,MAE, MITCOE, MCA, MCM were present. At 9 am sharp, one of the HR people of Infosys gave the presentation. After the presentation, we gave the aptitude test. It was for 1 hour. Questions were simple. But time was not sufficient. But that’s the main punch of any aptitude test.  One must solve as many questions as fast as possible.
                After lunch at around 2pm, results were declared. 70 students were shortlisted. At the very end, my name was called. We were expecting a bigger number of shortlisted candidates. My turn for interview came at 7pm in the evening. Some of the questions were: 1. Describe yourself 2.Why infosys 3. Any volunteering experience, describe it. 4. Strengths and weaknesses, etc
                4 companies Infosys, Accenture, Cognizant and TCS were coming on common platform. So, we had filled forms for all the four companies. We had gone through the website of these companies and these are the top IT companies in India. I personally had never believed that I would get placed in an IT company as my strength is in the electronics and telecommunication field. But these companies also had software projects in our field. We were as desperate to have a job in hand as the people from IT dept.
                After my interview I was told to assemble in the placement hall. Some of the students were again called in for 2nd round of interviews. Rumors started spreading that they are calling students for second interview to reject them or select them. Some people said only those students are going to be selected. Some said their package will be different, etc. I believed my interview went well and hoped for the best. Only a few selected students were called in to sign a form which contained our details. This was an indirect declaration that we are placed. Again rumors started spreading. At the end we decided not to believe any rumor and ask our placement coordinator. Sir said do not believe in any rumor. The company has a deal with college that they won’t declare the result until 17th December. Hence, we could not take things for granted.
We got a break on Sunday. On Monday, Accenture had come for campus recruitment. This proved to be the most challenging and learning experience. As usual aptitude was in the morning after the presentation. But, Accenture finalized almost 190 students from approximately 400 students. Group discussion round was next. We were given topic of current Telangana issue where Mr. Reddy had gone on hunger strike for the division of states. It went well. Nearly 100 students were rejected. After this came the technical interview. The recruiter was from my school and asked me what are my future plans. She asked me about some of the teachers I remembered. The technical questions were restricted only to some basics of programming and logical analysis. But mostly it was a chit chat. Finally the HR interview was taken by the same person who took our GD. After a quick round of questions again a  hint was given in the form of form filling. But similar to the previous day, we could not have taken things for granted.
The next day Cognizant was coming for recruitment. I was severely ill. But my absence for recruitment process would have meant I cannot sit for next 3 companies. So, I gave the test. But I didn’t even look at the last section. I just marked all As. As there was sectional cut off, I never expected to get through the aptitude. So, I was happy that I can go home and rest. But unfortunately, 240 students were selected and I was also selected. To add salt to my wounds, my interview was placed in between. The timing given was 5pm. Thus, I couldn’t go home. Just when I was about to go in for the interview, the interviewer left. My interview was rescheduled at the end. I had to wait for 4 more hours until finally my interview had happened. I was very unwell and the HR person realized this. He wrapped up the interview quickly. I never expected that I would get placed in Cognizant.
For Tata Consultancy Services recruitment, I was feeling little better. The aptitude test was very tough. But I got through. Again I cleared the technical interview and in the HR interview, they told me that TCS has a service bond for 2 years. Interview went well. Finally at around 4pm on 16th December I felt relieved. All the interviews were over. We were eagerly awaiting for the results which were to be declared the next day. I could not sleep at all that night.
And the result day arrived. I expected my placement in Infosys and Accenture. But I never expected Cognizant. I got placed in all the four companies. And then the dilemma started. Which company to select? The previous day I had considered the probability of getting placed in two companies. So, I had enquired about all the companies. Some said join Accenture, some said don’t go for TCS, and some were against Cognizant. At the end of the day, I selected Infosys for two reasons. First of all their early joining and secondly the training given by Infosys is the best in the world.
I will never forget this week as it was the most tiring and all the more exciting week. It really feels great when your sincere efforts in academics and extra curricular activities are recognized and you get what you deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment