Saturday, March 27, 2010

The joy on my mother's face...


I gave GATE examination in February 2010. I got 95.1 percentile. Only 4 students from our college qualified eventually.


Department of E&TC had organized a national level technical event ‘Texcellence 2010’. It was decided that the GATE qualifiers would be felicitated at the inauguration ceremony at the hands of the chief guest. The event was scheduled on 25th March, 2010. Event in charge was Abhishek Kumar. He was our volunteer when we had organized the event ‘Aqua Robotics’. Being the event in charge at that time, I got to observe the work of every volunteer during that period. He had worked day and night to make that event a success. We became great friends during that period. He gave me formal invitation card and also told me to bring my parents at the ceremony.

On 25th March, 2010 I came to the college along with my mother. We were greeted by our Head of the Department, Prof V.V.Shete. Prof S.Somani and Praf Mrs Gundewar were also there. I introduced my mother to all of them. Mrs. Gundewar is my internal guide for project. HOD requested my mother to have a seat and feel comfortable. She was taken to the conference hall where our principal Dr. S.N. Kaul and the chief guest Dr. Milind Acharya were already present. Our principal congratulated my mother that her son had achieved this. He emphasized that I should take up any opportunity that I get. The chief guest also congratulated and gave some words of wisdom. She was offered breakfast and good care was taken.

The inaugural ceremony began by lighting of lamp. After some boring speeches by our principal and HOD, came the big surprise. Abhishek Kumar said, “Today we have with us a very special person. She is the mother of Mr. Nikhil Shelke. Our college is really privileged with the presence of Mrs. Sujata Shelke. I would request Nikhil Shelke to please accompany his mother towards the dais. “

This came as a big surprise and my mother was really speechless. She was felicitated by the chief guest and given naral(coconut) and a flower. A shawl was put on her and lots of photographs were taken. During this entire process, I heard HOD tell Abhishek Kumar to mention that I had won the first prize at Technobot 2010 as well. Abhishek being my good friend not only mentioned that, but went on to tell that Nikhil also actively takes part in all the events and manages events. He has been part of Firodiya and Purushottam for last three years. In spite off all these activities his academics has never suffered. He has maintained his distinction throughout.

Finally after all the felicitation, Mr. Milind Acharya said a few words. His speech was very nice. He gave us some of the most valuable things that we can do.

My mother was over whelmed with joy and pride. All the teachers in our department congratulated my mother. Mrs. Deepa Nath was my class teacher in third year. She always gives my example to her students when it comes to balancing between academics and extra activities. She spoke with my mother for almost half an hour. Our relative Mr. Thorat was also present. He also congratulated my mother.

After the ceremony, we were going home. As we were walking towards toward my bike, she was telling me all the things that happened. Everything. How she was greeted by HOD, principal, what did all the teachers tell her and all the small things. I saw tears in her eyes with joy and pride. She hugged me as we came near the bike and said ‘thank you’. She said because of you I could see this day in my life. Tears also filled my eyes.

What is our purpose in life? Really, is earning money the only aim of our life? This moment that came in my life on that day where I gave the happiest day for my mother is much more that millions of dollars of money. It is priceless. It may seem that I am speaking nonsense. What a mad person I am. But for me, these moments are priceless.

I really feel proud because I took all the efforts, I achieved whatever small I could achieve. I got prize money, my career will get a good shape and I will achieve stability in my life. But now I feel that because of all my efforts, I got to give this day in my mothers’ life.

We keep cursing our HOD. But I will always remain indebted to him to have given me this day in my life. I will never forget this moment that came in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment